des Morais dAcadie Inc. proceeded to the creation of its Armorial
Bearings with the Canadian Heraldic Authority. The Coat of Arms was
presented at the 2009 Morais Family Reunion of August 10th, 2009, in
Saint-Sauveur, New Brunswick.
The blue, white
and red, as well as the stars, pay tribute to Acadia. The wavy line
represents the ocean that was crossed to establish a new family in the
New World, at Rivière-Ouelle around 1705. The lingonberries,
known as morets in Normandy, refer to the family name, Morais,
while the shell, the emblem of St. James (Jacques in French), alludes
to both the scallop dish known as coquilles Saint-Jacques and the forename
of the first ancestor, Jacques Morais, who settled in Caraquet, New
Brunswick, and owned a parcel of land at the time of the Caraquet great
land grant on May 29, 1784. The oak symbolizes the solidity of ones
roots and refers to the 2,000 oak trees given to the members of the
Morais family who gathered in 2000 in Tracadie-Sheila. Those trees have
since been planted around the world. MORE MAJORUM, meaning In
the ancestral way. In this motto, the word MORE refers to the
Letters Patent granting
Armorial Bearings to the Association des Morais dAcadie Inc.
as entered in volume V, page 460 of the Public Register of Arms, Flags
and Badges of Canada this 15th day of July 2009.
of Robert Pichette, Dauphin Herald Extraordinary, assisted by the heralds
of the Canadian Heraldic Authority.
Painter: Linda Nicholson